This Saturday (24th July) sees the Littleport Show – an annual day out for the family from 9am until 6pm at Highfields.
Included in the line up of this excellent show is the return of The Littleport Society marquee – where you can meet members of the Society’s team and find out more about your Littleport family roots. Perhaps you’ll spot a familiar face in a photograph or parish record?
Check out the event site.
I’ve just received the Summer 2010 (Issue 77) of The Littleport Society magazine and with it came the calendar of their meetings at the Village Hall in Littleport from 7.30pm.
They are as follows, but please note that you should check before travelling and I take no-responsibility for any changes made to the line-up below. Non-members are always welcome.
- 7th Sept: Brian Jones – “William Harrison the Fenland Poet”
- 5th Oct: Veronica Bennet – “The National Trust Properties of Cambridgeshire”
- 2nd Nov: Stephen Kelley – “Life in Britain during WWII”
- 7th Dec: Iain Harvey – Christmas organ concert – this will be in St George’s Church rather than the village hall.
- 4th Jan: Ken Wallace – “Autogyros and other flying adventures”
- 1st Feb: AGM and Members’ Short Talks
- 1st Mar: Janet Morris – “19th Century Rural Paintings”
- 5th Apr: Les Millgate – “The History of RAF Duxford”
- 3rd May: Tony Kirby – “Technology and the Victorians”
- 7th Jun: Susan Oosthuizen – “Cambridgeshire from the air”
- 5th Jul: Michelle Bullivant – “Poison and powder – cosmetics through the ages”
I’ve just received the latest Littleport Society magazine and they are currently confirming the following calendar dates – all of which take place at 7.30pm at the Village Hall.
- 4th December 2009 – Society Bookstall at the late night Christmas shopping
- 5th January 2010 – Tessa West – Life of a Huguenot family in the Fens in the 1600s.
- 2nd February 2010 – AGM and a chance to view the Littleport Master Plan – followed by a slide show by Bruce Frost.
- 2nd March 2010 – Gordon Easton – Growing up in the Fens – a humble tiller of the soil.
- 6th April 2010 – Bill Wittering – History of the royal mail
Please check with the Society before travelling long distances – they reserve the right to cancel/change the schedule of events at short notice.
I’ve just received the latest edition of The Littleport Society magazine, so thought i’d share the event info with you that covers the next few months. I’ve been a member of the society for years now and they are exceptionally helpful.
- 1st September: Alan Litshel – “Bottles 1870-1920”
- 6th October: Hilary Ritchie – “History of nursing at Addenbrookes Hospital”
- 3rd November: Malcolm Gaskill – “The Devil in Cambridgeshire – the witch hunting campaign 1645-1647”
- 1st December : Iain Harvey – Christmas organ concert (in St George’s Church)
- 5th January: Tessa West – ‘Companion to Owls – life of a Huguenot family in the fens in the 1600s’
- 2nd February: AGM and member’s short talks
- 2nd March: Gordon Easton – ‘Growing up in the fens – a humble tiller of the soil’
- 6th April: Bill Wittering – History of the Royal Mail
- 4th May: Peter Carter – The Last of the Eel Catchers
- 1st June: Gerald Siviour – East Anglia Railways – the last 50 years.
- 6th July: Mike Petty – ‘Fenland History on your computer – the library on your laptop’
All meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month (except for August when there are no meetings) at 7.30pm at the Village Hall, Victoria Street, Littleport, Cambridgeshire. Non-members are welcome.
Please note that events/talks are subject to change.